Help & Information

Your Rights

There are legal rights and non-legal rights in health care. If you wish to exercise your legal right, for example to financial compensation for medical negligence, then you should go directly to your solicitor. There is no point in taking your complaint to the Citizens Advice Scotland, the Ombudsman or the General Medical Council as they have no legal remit.

If you wish to ‘exercise’ (that is, just know about) your non-legal rights to health care then see Health Rights Information Scotland. These non-legal rights are in the form of loosely-defined principles which constitute general guidance only. The recently passed Patient Rights (Scotland) Act 2011 however has enshrined these principles more formally in The Charter of Patient Rights and Responsibilities.

Useful Links

If you wish to inform as many people about your complaint as possible then you should contact NHS Fife, the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman, your MSP and the relevant health regulator (every health professional belongs to a health regulator for example, doctors are registered with the General Medical Council, nurses are registered with the Nursing & Midwifery Council). For maximum exposure you can also take your complaint to a newspaper.

For general information and advice you can contact Citizens Advice Scotland and several other organisations (see General information & advice link below). In preparing your complaint we recommend that you obtain as much relevant information from NHS Fife as possible for example, internal emails, memoranda, letters and medical records which you can do by making a Freedom of Information request (see Scottish Information Commissioner).



 Health regulators


 Legal advice

General information & advice

 Tell the newspapers

We Need Your Support!

Please support us by making a donation via Paypal.

Latest News